Credit Card and PayPal Refunds
If you have made a donation using your credit card or PayPal, please email giving(at)torproject.org.
To process your refund, we'll need to know the following:
- Date of your donation
- Amount of your donation
- Your full name
- Payment method you used
- Your country of origin
- Why you're asking for a refund
Some payment methods won't support refunds, or require them to be made in a specific way, so we may need additional information from you in order to process yours.
If during your donation you requested and were mailed a gift, your refund will be limited to the amount of the donation above the amount that qualified you for the gift.
For instance, if the giving level is $75 to receive a t-shirt, you donated $75, and you were mailed a t-shirt, we will not process a refund; however, if you donated $100, and you were mailed a t-shirt, we would process a $25 refund.
Below, you will find the cryptocurrency donation refund policy for the Tor Project. This policy varies from the refund policy for donations made in fiat. If you require a refund for a donation made to the Tor Project in cryptocurrency, you should be aware of the requirements below:
- Cryptocurrency refund requests must be made within seven days of the original donation. No refunds will be issued after that time period.
- We will only process a refund directly to the wallet from which the donation originated. There are absolutely no exceptions to this policy.
- You must send identity verification documentation in order to receive a refund. The required documents are outlined below.
- Your identity verification documents must be received within 14 days of the refund request initiation. No refunds will be issued after that time period.
Identity Verification Documents
To initiate a refund, contact giving(at)torproject.org. You will be required to provide the following information to receive a refund, so be prepared to provide these documents.
A clear photo of the FRONT AND BACK of your government-issued ID. We can accept the following IDs:
- Driver’s license
- National identity card (front + back)
- Other valid government-issued ID may be accepted if it has your full legal name, photo, date of birth and issue and expiry dates all on the front of your ID.
Valid proof of residence document.
Proof of residence documents must contain your name, address and be dated less than 3 months ago from the date of submission. We do NOT accept P.O. Box addresses from any country. Valid documents include, but are not limited to:
- Bank statement
- Credit card statement
- Utility bill (water, electricity, gas, internet, phone)
- Payroll statement -or- Official salary document from employer
- Insurance statement
- Tax document
- Residence certificate
We do NOT accept USPS change-of-address letters.
For documents in languages that use non-Latin characters (such as Russian, Chinese, Thai, Hebrew, etc.), a notarized translation of your proof of residence document will greatly speed up processing time.
Digital copy of a screenshot taken when you are logged into the wallet you used to make the transaction. This screenshot must show proof of the transaction from your wallet to the Tor Project's wallet.
Photograph including (a) your face, (b) your ID, and (c) a printed copy of a screenshot mentioned above.
If you need any clarification about the information requested, please see Kraken's document verification requirements.
If you need a refund for a circumstance not covered in this policy, please email giving(at)torproject.org.